When I first started brainstorming W&S, one of the first things I wrote was a Sustainability Charter. Heck, we had a SC before we had a business name or any products! And while it might seem strange for such a small business to invest so much time, and energy (and money) on such a policy, sustainability underpins all that we do here at W&S. With this in mind, here is our commitment to doing better.
- Orders are posted in compostable mailing bags, with recycled brown paper and brown tape. Any plastic used to secure large or international orders has been reused from the shipments we receive from our printers. We don't send you your order paperwork, business cards, tissue paper, glossy stickers, or any other fillers.
- We sell in 0.5m increments with only a 0.5m minimum order, to reduce over-consumption when not needed. We try to offer a wide range of non-directional designs available to minimise waste
- Flawed fabrics sold at discounted prices or donated to charity
- Designated charity designs, where a minimum of one-third profit goes to a nominated charity. So far we have supported Foodbank North Cumbria, Albert Kennedy Trust, KidsOut UK, Sharewear Clothing Scheme, and the Peace of Mind Foundation (as recommended by The Cookie Clan). We carefully research and select smaller, grassroots charities which are linked thematically to one of our designs.
- Supportive online community and a wide range of fabric bases available to help people create their own eco-products.
- Bi-monthly Instagram Market Nights and meaningful collaborations with independent makers and artists to support and showcase fellow small businesses.
- Proud allies of BIPOC and LGBTQ+ communities. We see you, we value you, we will do better.